Instrumentation and Control Technologist
LOCATION: Lafayette, Louisiana
We are currently searching for an Instrumentation / Controls Technologist to join our team. This role is a fast-paced, challenging position in designing, programming, and commissioning instrumentation and automation control systems for industrial clients. The ideal candidate enjoys working as a team player in an office environment and seeing the work implemented during onsite visits.
- Work as a member of a multi-discipline design team, with project teams across multiple offices.
- Develop control strategies and control narratives; provide P&ID assistance to the Process Group.
- Specify instruments and final control devices.
- Prepare instrumentation and control system layout drawings and block diagrams.
- Design automation systems including PLC, HMI, DCS, and communication networks.
- Prepare network diagrams and PLC/DCS gateway interface lists.
- Perform site visits to field verify design details.
- Design PLC panels and prepare panel layouts, I/O module schematics, termination diagrams, bills of material, and cable schedules.
- Prepare hardware and software specifications.
- Participate in Factory Acceptance Testing for major equipment.
- Work with electrical designers on electrical motor control systems including MCCs, soft starters, and VFDs.
- Contribute to electrical area classification drawings.
- Prepare instrumentation and controls construction work packages.
- Develop PLC, HMI, and communication module programs.
- Perform software simulations, acceptance testing with clients, pre-commissioning, and site commissioning of PLCs, HMIs, and networks.
- Ensure that work is checked in accordance with the standards and procedures of TIGA and the client.
- Adhere to all health and safety policies and guidelines of TIGA and the client.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- 2 to 5 years of progressive experience as an Instrumentation & Controls Technologist is preferred
- Experience in Oil & Gas Refining considered an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills required for internal team interfaces and client liaison
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to adapt to new projects and quickly understand the defined scope
- Fluency in one or more control system languages will be considered an asset
- Project management skills
- Adherence to safety policies and procedures
SOFTWARE AND SYSTEMS
- Experience with computer design tools – AutoCAD, SPI Intools, 3D modelling, CADWorx P&ID
- Hardware / software troubleshooting skills
- PLC/HMI/DCS programming experience using industry standard software packages considered an asset
- Experience with GE, Schneider / Modicon and/or Rockwell PLC controller products considered an asset
- Experience with industrial network design and implementation including Ethernet/IP, DeviceNet, and Modbus TCP
- Formal training from control system vendor or industry software tools will be considered an asset
- Technology Diploma in Automation and Instrumentation or equivalent
- Eligible or Registered with OACETT or equivalent provincial organization
- A requirement of working for TIGA is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in the U.S. A copy of a valid work permit may be required.
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some TIGA positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions.
- Periodic travel within the U.S. to client sites and regional TIGA offices will be required
- Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing and background checks may be required for our client worksites
- Must be able to adhere to our Office Vaccination & Covid Policies. We will be confirming your eligibility to comply with these requirements.
- Current Working Environment: Hybrid Working Arrangement (In office & work from home)
In addition to rewarding job opportunities and continuous growth, we offer an enjoyable working environment, where teamwork and respectful collaboration is highly valued. We offer the benefits of a midsized local office atmosphere backed by a large network of highly skilled professionals.
TIGA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity, inclusion, and equity are among TIGA’s core values. Throughout our history, the company has prioritized equitable inclusion of all people. All qualified candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, military or veteran status, gender, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information and any other characteristics protected by the law. We invite resumes from all interested parties, including women; Indigenous persons; members of visible minority groups; and persons with disabilities. Please visit our website at www.tiga.us to see the array of diverse services and exciting projects we are currently working on.