Senior Electrical Engineer
LOCATION: Lafayette, LA
- Leading the design effort for complete electrical system construction and integration. Producing project plans, drawings, schedules and specifications as required to meet client expectations.
- Perform all calculations required to ensure a safe and cost effective design that adheres to applicable codes.
- Lead and mentor systems and electrical engineering staff with regard to career growth, continuous learning and project performance.
- Develop and apply standards of design and practice in projects, using effective judgement as required for specific project requirements.
- Coordinate with third party engineering disciplines as it pertains to the electrical system design.
- Perform site walks and field verification as required to develop accurate designs, resolve coordination issues, and ultimately provide solutions to the client.
- Performing FAT, pre-commissioning and commissioning activities.
- Ensuring that all work is properly checked in accordance with Standards & Procedures.
- Coordinating activities with Project Managers and Technical Engineers.
- Responsible for adhering to all health and safety policies and guidelines.
- Travel - Ranges from occasional (two to three-day trips) to frequent (one day trips), with travel time often concentrated in bunches.
- Ability to execute an electrical design project to produce a complete electrical construction package. This package will detail everything from the generator or utility service entrance to low voltage DC control wiring. This includes elevations, layouts, dimensional drawings, area plans, power/lighting/control/grounding plans and details, cable schedules, interconnects, demolition drawings, network diagrams, and anything else required to construct a completely integrated electrical and control system.
- 10+ years of technical experience with low voltage and medium voltage power system design.
- Strong understanding of electric power systems, electrical distribution, switchgear automation, and power system controls.
- Proficiency in conducting electrical power system studies. Experience using ETAP software is preferred, but equivalent software experience is valued.
- Strong understanding of grounding system principles, applications and theory.
- Strong understanding of electrical three-phase machine theory and applications.
- Familiarity with automation and control systems, instrumentation and electrical (I&E) engineering and principles for industrial facilities
- Ability to specify transformers, variable frequency drives (VFDs), motor starters, switchgear, motor control centers (MCCs) and related electrical distribution equipment.
- Ability to read, interpret and develop controls for motor starting equipment, switchgear, and related electrical equipment.
- Ability to specify, develop settings for, and program multifunction relays for power system applications.
- Experience with grounding system configurations, including solid, high resistance, etc.
- Familiarity with generator operational characteristics, governance and voltage regulation systems.
- Ability to train and mentor project and system engineers throughout the project lifecycle.
- Directly interface with clients and company management to report project status, risks and resolutions.
- Work as a project lead with direct interaction to customer stakeholders.
- Strong understanding of project execution and construction sequencing principles.
- Strong communication and computer skills are required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Active Professional Engineer (PE) license, or the ability and intent to obtain licensure quickly. Desired states of licensure: Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma
- Strong familiarity with the National Electric Code (NEC) and National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) standards. Familiarity with IEC or other international standards is a plus.
- Drafting/design experience with AutoCAD is preferred, similar CAD system experience is also valued.
- Experience with Revit, Navisworks, and/or AutoCAD Electrical is a plus.
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Paid time off
- Performance Bonus
- Career Growth Opportunities and Training